Friday, October 2, 2015

Payton and Feeding

To start; a week before Payton was born my husband texts me and tell me my can of formula came if the mail. At first I was really confused and thought someone in my life, pushing formula, secretly sent me this can. Once he got it home I realized that this very popular formula company sent me a promotional can and I was a little annoyed by it. Why would I need formula? I'm breastfeeding exclusively, they're just trying to make more money! Needless to say my husband finally convinced me that I should keep the just in case I go dry.

Now to Payton's second night out; she woke up hungry and screaming, so I go to feed her. She was too pissed off to care about latching on and for four hours in the hospital crying, which of course makes me start to cry in frustration. The nurse is trying to help latch Payton onto me and can't. That poor nurse decides she needs to say "Honest to God, I don't know what to do!" because that's the best thing to say to a new mum while she's still in the hospital. She leaves and finally comes back after about an other 30 minutes of me crying and trying to make her latch, the nurse tells me she's throwing in the town and giving her formula.  I was too exhausted to care and I told her that. Might I add Bryson was passed out on the cot right next to me the entire time, nothing could have woken him up.  The next morning she was latching and feeding like a champ again, totally back to normal.

Payton's first night home;  my father calls Bryson and tells him he needs help because he just hit a deer on the highway and he needed water for his radiator. I told Brys I was totally fine and there was nothing to worry about. That was probably the longest 3 hours of my life. She woke up hungry and pissed again and it was a total repeat of her second night in the hospital. Now if we were in our own home I probably wouldn't have been freaking out so much, but we live in an apartment where the walls are paper thin and it was passed 10 pm. Frustrated and running around frantically trying to figure out what to do, I finally ran to the evil can of formula (which was a God given gift at that moment). When my husband finally got back home from rescuing my dad he looked at me like he was deer in headlights (no pun intended) and he knew I wasn't okay haha

Now let's fast forward to now and what I've learned so far, in my first week of being a first time mum, about feeding.
1. Feeding baby every two hours sucks and I can't wait till she gets back up to birth weight here really soon, my natural alarm clock is all messed up.
2. If she's happy and kind of hungry she'll latch (she won't suckle anymore).
3. My breast pimp is my best friend.
4. Only use formula if you absolutely have to.
5. She sleeps much better with mama's milk.
6. Formula = projectile spit ups and chunky almost dry seeming poo
7. If you want to Breastfeed, NEVER use a binky. That was my first step into exclusive pumping and I wish somebody told me that before I decided to have Brys give her one while I was taking a bath at the hospital.
8. If you don't don't do the first 12 weeks pumping schedule,  you're going to drip EVERYWHERE and it gets pretty awkward when your dad shows up unannounced while you're prepping the pump and you're wearing a white shirt!

No comments:

Post a Comment